For TLDs (.COM, .NET, etc.)
Most domain names will fall under this category and there are several steps you would need to take in order to secure the move of your domain from the losing registrar to us.
- Go to your existing provider and unlock the domain name. A lock stops a domain from transferring, so for the transfer to initiate it needs to be unlocked.
- Make sure that you are the domain administrative contact. As part of the transfer we will email the domain administrative contact, and so you need to be able to receive those emails. This usually appears under ‘domain contact information’, and you check what the email is by doing a whois lookup. Enter your domain below to check what your domain administrative contact is.
- If you have domain privacy enabled, You may also need to disable privacy protection in order to transfer your domain. You can re-enable this with us once the domain transfer completes.
- Get the Authoristation or EPP Code from the existing provider. This is usually an alphanumeric string of random characters, and works like a password. You will need to enter this into the form we send to the admin contact, as it verifies who you are.
- If you have not already placed the order on our website, you can do this now. If the order was placed earlier, you can resend the verification email to the admin contact through our control panel.
- We will now send the email to the domain admin contact asking for you to enter the code. Once you enter that code the domain will go for processing, and complete within a few days.
Please note: These domain transfers cost the same price as a one year registration, but we also extend the domain's due date by one year, essentially meaning the transfer is free.
For UK domains (.CO.UK, etc.)
The following domain names fall under this category: .CO.UK, .LTD.UK, .ME.UK & .ORG.UK. The transfer of this type of domains is simpler and requires less actions.
- Place your transfer order through our website.
- Go to your existing provider and ask them to change the IPSTAG to ours - UKWEBHOSTING
This action will assign your domain name to our Nominet TAG, following which we can associate it with your account in the Tsohost systems.
Please note: Placing the order for this type of transfer is completely free with us and your due date will remain the same. Your old provider should change the IPSTAG at no cost, as it is a free and single change for them. However, some unscrupulous providers will charge you a fee. If they do, you can get in touch with Nominet to establish your identity and force the change for £10 +VAT GBP. Nominet donates much of its profit to charity.
For CentralNic domains (.GB.COM, etc.)
CentralNic manage a handful of second level domains, including .UK.COM, .UK.NET, .GB.COM & .EU.COM. The CentralNic transfer process is very similar to the TLD (.COM etc) transfer process.
- Go to your existing provider and check that your domain is unlocked. Not all providers give this option, and many CentralNic domains are unlocked by default.
- Obtain the 'authorisation code' from your existing provider. This will be an alphanumeric string of characters, and works like a secret password.
- Place your order with us. We will initiate the transfer to our CentralNic account and this usually takes between one and five days.
Please note: Placing this type of order is completely free with us and the due date for your domain will remain the same.